Fanatec announced the BMW M4 GT3 steering wheel at a special BMW event. Designed by Fanatec in collaboration with BMW Motorsport, the BMW M4 GT3 Podium steering wheel sets a new bar for simulation realism. It is a special steering wheel, because for the first time in the history of sim racing, a steering wheel has been developed for both real and virtual racing at the same time. The steering wheel will be on the market in Q2 2021 and the price is not yet known.
This is the actual steering wheel made for the 2022 BMW M4 GT3 race car. The units used for GT3 racing come from the same production line as the units for sale. They are identical in every way. The steering wheel was specified according to the requirements of BMW Motorsport and developed by Fanatec from the start of the project.
To meet the demands of a real race car connection, the Fanatec electronics are now compatible with CAN bus, the industry standard for car communication. A new Quick Release system has also been developed and even the steering wheel has been made water and shock resistant.
The thumb-operated rotary encoders are the best we’ve ever made, and the use of Hall sensors means they are ultra-reliable and precise. All-new push-pull magnetic shifter paddles allow the driver to upshift and downshift (or activate other functions) with either hand.
Illuminate the possibilities
RGB LEDs behind all 12 front-facing buttons plus backlit multi-position switches means you’ll always find the right input in the heat of competition. Programmable via CAN bus in the real car, and via FanaLab on your PC.
- Official BMW Motorsport product
- Multi-layer (8 layers) full carbon fibre body
- Meets rigorous environmental condition specifications for shock and vibration, IP65 rating (dust and water resistance)
- RGB LED-backlit front buttons (colour-adjustable and dimmable, interchangeable caps)
- Customisable via FanaLab
- Two custom-designed, 12-step thumb encoders with Hall sensors
- Dual-action (push/pull) magnetic shifter paddles
- Fanatec QR2: all-new quick release allows operation in the 2022 BMW M4 GT3 race car
- Communicates with 2022 BMW M4 GT3 via CAN bus
- 310 mm diameter
- Designed and developed in Bavaria by Fanatec and BMW Motorsport
- Rubber hand grips molded over carbon fibre structure
- 14 push buttons (12 front-facing, 2 rear-facing) with 700 g activation force
- 1” OLED display
- Three backlit 12-position rotary switches with encoder functionality
- 4-way D-pad under the BMW logo
- Two dual-Hall sensor clutch paddles
- New-generation firmware, upgradeable via integrated USB-C port
- Compatible with Windows PC
- Compatible with all PS4 and PS5 systems when connected to a PlayStation-licensed wheel base
- 1400 g (approx)